Hydrant Use:

Within Jefferson Utilities service area, firefighters have unlimited access to hydrants and are not required a meter to use them. For contractors and large bulk water use, Jefferson Utilities issues hydrant meters with account setup and/or water salesman codes. Our water salesman is located at 338 Industrial Boulevard, Kearneysville, WV. A code and password will be supplied once application is filled out.

When connecting to our water supply via a hydrant, you must have either an air gap or a RPZ to provide backflow protection. If it is not possible to construct an air gap, a RPZ must be installed, inspected and tested before use. Please contact our office for further information regarding this.


Cross Connection & Backflow Prevention:

Jefferson Utilities is responsible for protecting the water distribution system from potential hazards caused by cross-connections. Jefferson Utilities is committed to ensuring tap water is safe to drink for all customers within our service. According to the Federal and State regulations, these agencies require backflow preventers be tested when first installed and annually by a certified tester to make sure it is adequately working.

Jefferson Utilities has certified backflow testers available at a minimal fee. To set-up an appointment please contact our office at

What is a cross-connection?

A cross-connection is a temporary or permanent connection between a potable (drinking) water supply and a non-potable source.

What is backflow?

Backflow is the undesirable flow of non-potable water or other substance through a cross-connection back into the consumer’s plumbing system or public water system due to back-pressure and back-siphonage.

How does backflow occur?

Backflow can occur when a premises’ water pressure is higher than the pressure in the water distribution system.

What is backpressure?

Backpressure is caused by a downstream pressure that is greater than the supply pressure of the public water system or the consumer’s water system. This is caused by elevated plumbing, booster pumps, pressure vessels, etc.

What types of properties are required to install a backflow prevention device?

  • Hospitals, mortuaries, clinics, veterinary establishments, nursing homes, and medical buildings;
  • Laboratories
  • Piers, docks, and waterfront facilities
  • Sewage treatment plants, sewage pumping stations or storm water pumping stations
  • Food and beverage processing plants
  • Chemical plants, dyeing plants, and pharmaceutical plants
  • Metal plating industries
  • Petroleum or natural gas processing or storage plants
  • Radioactive materials processing plants or nuclear reactors
  • Car washes and laundries
  • Lawn sprinkler systems, and irrigation systems
  • Fire service systems
  • Poultry processing plants
  • Farms where the water is used for other than household purposes
  • Commercial greenhouses and nurseries
  • Health clubs with swimming pools, therapeutic baths, hot tubs or saunas
  • Paper and paper products plants and printing plants
  • Pesticide or exterminating companies and their vehicles with storage or mixing tanks
  • Schools or colleges with laboratory facilities
  • Multiuse commercial, office, or warehouse facilities
  • Any facility with reclaimed water
  • Others specified by the provider or the division when reasonable cause can be shown for a potential backflow or cross connection hazard

Who is responsible for sending in the completed test sheet?

The owner is responsible for sending the completed test sheet to Jefferson Utilities, Inc. by mail at 270 Industrial Boulevard, Kearneysville, WV 25430 or by email at or by fax at 304-728-8494.

If I don’t have my backflow preventer tested what will occur?

The water service to the non-compliant property will be terminated within 10 days of termination notification to the property owner. Jefferson Utilities takes backflow prevention seriously to ensure safety of our drinking water to all of our schools, commercial, industrial and residential customers.

Backflow Requests

For existing businesses where the water service is already in the ground, a water application will need to be completed. Jefferson Utilities will provide water service with the meter size that matches the existing service. Be sure to verify that the size of the existing service is appropriate for your needs; if you need a larger service or a smaller meter, special work is required to modify the existing service. Depending on the incoming service line will determine the smallest meter size available to the location.

For new commercial or industrial construction, when all requirements listed on the Engineering section of this web site are completed, a water application will need to be completed along with a water meter request form.

Please note that this application process will get you signed up for water only. If you need public sewer service, you will have to sign up with the sewer service provider.

Fill Out Water Application